Happy Thanksgiving everyone, if you have an online business, chances are you already know that you’re really pulling “double duty”. You probably work on your online business while doing the laundry, corralling the kids, fixing dinner or like most of us working another job…
And let’s not forget all the phone calls, emails and texts from customers, family and friends expecting you to run errands, need assistance or just “go out” for an afternoon of fun.
One of the hardest parts of running an online business is separating your work from your family and social life. Here are six proven ways to keep your home life running smoothly while keeping your online business on track.
1. First, create a work schedule and stick with it. It may be tempting to answer personal calls during the day or take business calls after-hours, but doing this actually shows that you’re expendable, not dependable and people will take for granted that you’ll always be there for any little things that come up. Even though family comes first, stay true to your online business hours and resist the urge to chat with friends or pick up groceries during “working” hours.
2. Your friends may consider working from home just like you an invitation to chat during the day or just go out for coffee or golfing for an afternoon. Make it clear that your online business hours are just that, for business. Leave personal calls for after-hours, and you’ll find that your friends will gradually accept your schedule without feeling slighted.
3. Just because you have to set up a work schedule, doesn’t mean that you have to keep the same hours as everyone else. One of the benefits of working for yourself is setting your own hours to fit your most productive times. Whether you’re an early bird or a night owl, you’ll find that you’ll get much more done when you’re attuned to your body’s own natural rhythms. Some people work in the morning, take a break in the afternoon when the kids are home from school, and work again in the evening. Schedule your work time when you feel the most productive and you’ll find that things get done easier, faster and better than when you were dragging along during those same rigid work hours that everyone else has. You will also see your profits increase.
4. If getting after-hours business calls/emails or work day personal calls is a problem, it helps to have a separate business phone line or email address. This also gives your online business a more professional appearance to clients than if you and your family make and receive calls from the same phone line.
5. If at all possible, try to separate your home office from the rest of your home if at all possible. If you don’t have the luxury of a separate room, a room partition or screen can be just as helpful. This also serves as a visual cue to family that you’re working online and shouldn’t be bothered.
6. Dress and act professionally while working, yeah right. You are working from home so dress how you want to. Some people find it helpful to dress in casual business attire during their working hours and some don’t. This reinforces that just because you’re working from home doesn’t make you any less of a professional. The bottom lone is to make money so don’t worry about how you look. Also, invest money in the marketing tools you need to do your job right. A cell phone, autoresponder, computer, website and professional email address can help turn your home office into a true workspace.
If you follow all of these tips, stay disciplined and stick with them, chances are you’ll find a routine that not only makes you feel productive and active in your online business, but you will also see your profits increase.
So, if you are still wondering “Why should I start making money from home” you should really be asking how soon can I start? Check out the program below for an honest way to make money online. It is working for me…